Organic MulitvitaminsA review of Doc’s Best Multivitamins, which are all-natural and gluten-free. Read why I believe this is the best organic multi-vitamin available.

Are you looking for a natural supplement that’s formulated with nutrients that your body can actually absorb? Perhaps you’re worried about all of the fillers and additives that are found in most dietary products. If so, then we have a few things in common. I spent years looking for a high-quality, organic multi-vitamin that gave me the nutrients I needed without giving me a lot of ingredients I didn’t want.

I spent several years searching for the best all-natural multivitamin and kept coming back to a product created by Ron Schmid, ND, a licensed naturopathic physician and a graduate of MIT. It’s called Doc’s Best Multivitamin and I started taking these vitamins about two years ago. It was one of the best decisions I’d made in a long time. I’m convinced that it’s the best multivitamin supplement on the market today. I think this not only because of what is in this supplement, but because of what is not in it.

What’s Not In Doc’s Best Multivitamin?

Before I actually discuss what’s in this vitamin, let’s take a quick look at what’s NOT in it, because if you are one of the many people who have sensitivities or allergies to certain ingredients, this will be really important for you.

Doc’s Best Multivitamin are gluten-free and dairy-free. They also contain absolutely no wheat, soy, yeast, sugar, shellfish, egg, peanut, tree nut, lactose, or casein. As a matter of fact, the only other ingredient listed for Doc’s Best Multivitamin is the gelatin capsule that the supplements are housed in.

Another typical ingredient that’s conspicuously absent is magnesium stearate. Typically used as a lubricating and flowing agent, it’s a derivative of cottonseed or palm oil. According to Udo Erasmus, who write the book Fats and Oils, “Cottonseed oil has the highest content of pesticide residues of all commercial oils. In the hydrogenation process, the oil is subjected to high heat and pressure in the presence of a metal catalyst for several hours.” According to Erasmus the stearates contain altered molecules that come from fatty acids. The metal catalyst can also contaminate the stearates produced.
[hcshort id=”5″]

These are just a couple of the reasons why you won’t find magnesium stearate in these organic multivitamins. Stearates are also thought to slow absorption of vitamins and minerals, which can be a real problem for older adults and people with slow digestion.

Now that you know what you WON’T find in this product, let’s take a look at what you WILL find.

Vitamins and Antioxidants

These natural multivitamins have a nice range of all of your required vitamins. All of the B-vitamins, along with more than enough of vitamins C, D3, E, and K2, are present in each dose. These are the vitamins that contribute to energy, healthy brain function, vision, and overall good health.

In addition to keeping your body functioning properly, many of these vitamins also act as antioxidants. That is, they fight the free radicals that cause such conditions as:

• Cardiac disease
  • Cancer
  • Wrinkles
  • Brain fog
  • Clogged arteries
  • Poor memory
  • Decreased immune function
  • General deterioration often associated with getting older

Doc’s Best Multivitamin have several of the hard-hitting antioxidant vitamins including carotenoids, tocopherols and vitamins E and C. There’s also grape seed extract which is another potentially powerful antioxidant.

Minerals And Other Good Stuff

This truly is one of the best organic multivitamins that I’ve found because in addition to your daily vitamins, it also has healthy portions of minerals including:

• Calcium
  • Magnesium
  • Copper
  • Manganese
  • Zinc
  • Chromium

Your body needs minerals for every vital function from digestion to circulation and muscle control.

Alpha lipoid acid is a fatty acid that acts as a powerful antioxidant, converts glucose to sugar to make energy, and actually helps recycle other antioxidants. What makes it even more unique is that is both water soluble and fat soluble and can cross the blood/brain barrier. It’s in this supplement along with the anti-aging superstar coenzyme Q10. Basically, this little pill is a powerhouse of good stuff. It’s seriously one of the best organic multivitamins that I’ve found.

Who Can Benefit From This Supplement?

Because this vitamin truly is all-inclusive and has significant amounts of each nutrient in it, it may be most beneficial to people who don’t get enough dietary vitamins and minerals. It’s also great for people who have dietary restrictions. The website states, “Doc’s Best is not a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle. But in terms of quality, ease of implementation, and affordability, it is indeed outstanding health insurance.”

Doc’s Best Multivitamin is perfect for you if you:

• Have digestive difficulties
  • Have problems properly chewing your food
  • Have food allergies that make it difficult to get vital nutrients
  • Can’t take other supplements because of additives such as lactose or gluten
  • Notice a decrease in your energy levels
  • Are worried about osteoporosis and want a digestible source of calcium
  • Are a picky eater or have picky eaters who may not get a balanced diet
  • Want to maintain vitality as you age
  • Are just looking for the best organic multivitamin with no fillers or junk

How Much Should I Take?

The recommended dosage varies from 1-6 pills per day. The reason that there’s such a broad range is explained by Dr. Schmid this way, “The ideal dose for many people, particularly those most likely to have or develop nutritional deficiencies (pregnant and lactating women, or individuals with known medical problems), is six daily. For many others I recommend one to four.”

A real perk is that Dr. Ron Schmid, the man behind the product, offers his email in case you have any questions about dosages or the product in general.

What About the Cost?

When compared to other multivitamins, the cost of this one is pretty comparable. At $59.95 for a 1-6 month supply, it’s actually not a bad deal at all. What you have to consider is that you’re not just getting your standard vitamins; you’re also getting coenzyme Q10, alpha lipoid acid, grape seed extract, and all of the other “extras” that are in it.

If you were to buy all of those supplements separately, you’d be paying much more than what this single vitamin costs, plus they would likely be full of additives. All things considered, this product is reasonably priced.

How Do I Get It?

Ordering is extremely easy direct from Dr. Ron’s. The site is completely secure and I’ve ordered safely from them for two years or so. Your order ships in 24 hours or so, and you usually receive it in just a few days. You’ll get 180 capsules, which as I said, will last you from one to six months depending on your dosage. The picture below shows what you’ll get when you order.

organic multivitaminIf you’re putting a lot of time and money into eating and drinking healthy, organic foods and exercising, it’s really important that your multivitamin be as pure as possible, too.

After two years of using these supplements, I can honestly say that I wouldn’t trust anything else that’s on the market. I also feel more energetic and strong than I ever have. See for yourself, order a bottle and check out the difference it can make in just a couple of weeks.
[hcshort id=”5″]

About Carol Newman

Carol Newman is long time advocate for natural and healthy living. Carol is the host of the BioGirl Health Show on Spreaker Web Radio (subscribe), and is dedicated to helping women realize their full potential. She will help you achieve the best possible health and teach you to embrace your inner beauty. Carol invites you to subscribe to her weekly lifestyle podcast and to share your experiences about the BioGirl Health Show on one of the online review sites.

Comments

1. These vitamins use GELATIN caps which are, generally speaking, extracted from the skin, boiled crushed horn, hoof and bones, connective tissues, organs and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, chicken, pigs, and horses. Do these come in V-caps? I do not eat red meat and no one should ever eat any form of pork. Also the gelatin caps that are used are they also organic? From organically grown/fed animals?

• Carol Newman says:

Hi Marcia, Sorry about the delay. I wanted to find out why http://www.docsbestmultivitamin.com uses gelatin caps instead of vegetarian caps. It just so happens that I will be interviewing Dr. Ron on July 30, 2013, and I will ask him that question. Nevertheless, the reason I chose these particular vitamins is the high quality of the raw ingredients and the fact that no magnesium stearates are used in the manufacturing process. So many of the vitamins out there use them because it is more cost effective. Dr. Ron developed his line because he wanted to offer quality before profit. He has high integrity. He is not a large corporation that is mostly concerned with making a buck. If you go to the site http://www.docsbestmultivitamin.com you can find out much more information than what I can write here. Meanwhile, I do have another option for you if you are interested in another high-quality supplement that is free of magnesium stearates and is also vegetarian. The website address is http://www.livehealthyvitamins.com. Thank you very much for contacting me with your questions and concerns. Let me know if I can help in any other way. Carol

2. So-called Vegetable capsules or Veggie Caps are not natural. V-caps are made from Hydroxypropyl MethylCellulose or HPMC. Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose-based vegetarian capsules are just a synthetic compound not derived from animals, but not considered healthy. The majority of vegetarian capsules are made of pine tree (bark) gum a very foreign substance which cannot be called food by any standard. There’s also discussion veggie caps may not digest in the stomach, but in the colon, rendering the supplement useless. Vegetarian capsules lack naturally occurring protein. As a result, the stomach does not recognize a vegetarian capsule as food, so the capsule only dissolves in bile, in the lower GI tract. Gelatin capsules dissolve in the stomach. This permits the product they contain to stay longer in the active gastrointestinal tract, to be better processed and to deliver their full spectrum of mineral properties. Gelatin is the safest material that is guaranteed to predictably and reliably deliver your supplement’s benefits.

• Carol Newman says:

Daniel, Thank you very much for your informative post. I do appreciate feedback. The supplements I recommend, http://www.docsbestmultivitamin.com uses gelatin caps. Also, check out my podcast on the Biogirl Health Show, “Dr. Ron’s – What’s In A Quality Supplement”. Here is the link. We discuss veggie caps and gelatin caps amongst other issues regarding supplements. http://www.spreaker.com/user/biogirl/dr_ron_s_what_s_in_a_quality_supplement

• Thanks for the link Carol. I listened to the whole Spreaker broadcast. I see that Dr. Ron’s gelatin caps come from Chicago animals, and as he also stated, there are no gelatin caps available anywhere from purely grass-fed animals. Vegetable fiber is not a desirable thing to ingest. And I already knew that Veggie caps are practically indigestible. It was confirming of Dr. Ron’s honesty and integrity toward all those facts that helped me realize his multivitamin is likely of the highest quality there is. I will definitely be ordering and trying his multivitamin. 🙂

• Carol Newman says:

That’s great, Daniel. I am very appreciative of you taking the time to listen to the Biogirl Health Show. I know you are aware that there is such a cornucopia of supplement choices available. It is my commitment to narrow the search down for people like you so you do not have to spend countless hours finding quality products. I take what I do seriously, and I truly care. I have worked in a nursing home, hospital and home health care and want to be a health advocate to anyone who wants to listen, lol. Have a blessed day. 🙂

3. Sandra Garcia says:

Hi, this is all new to me but I am 50 and my daughter who is a nurse has been insisting that I start taking vitamins, I am not a fan of taking any pills so I started my search and I came across your site. So I wan to get serious with taking the proper vitamins or should I say the most natural. After reading all of this information has really schooled me and I think I will try these at my first multivitamin. Thank You

• Carol Newman says:

Sandra, Your daughter is giving you very good advice. My aunt is over 100 years young, and she has taken vitamins since her early twenties. My mom and dad also take vitamins. They are in their eighties. In addition, they all have maintained healthy lifestyles such as eating healthy foods and getting physical activity. Neither of the three is on any pharmaceutical medications. I would have to think all of what I mentioned above has contributed to their good health. Please keep me posted. I would greatly appreciate any feedback, and thank you for writing a comment. By the way, we are about the same age. I am in my jubilee year. I also take Doc’s Best Multivitamin. 🙂

• Sandra Garcia says:

Ahhh yes the jubilee years… Loving it…… It is so encouraging to hear about your aunt and Mom & Dad. Thank God that I am healthy and not on any medications. I have just started a work out ritual and now I’m ready to add the proper vitamins.
        Thank you for the quick reply.
        Enjoy your day.

• Carol Newman says:

Hi Sandra, You are very welcome. I am pleased to hear you are starting and exercise routine too. Once you get into a routine, exercise can become addicting. It did for me and that was about 33 years ago.

4. Allen, Quentin says:

Hi Carol, I have a question about the vitamin C as Calcium Ascorbate, Ascorbyl Palmitate. As I understand it Calcium Ascorbate, Ascorbyl Palmitate is from corn and not a good source of vitamin C. I was wondering your opinion on this subject and perhaps another organic vitamin that uses a better source. Thanks!

• Carol Newman says:

Hi Allen, I received your comment, but I wanted to make sure my information was accurate before I replied. I did talk with Dr. Ron. This is what he told me. To answer your question about the Buffered Vitamin C:

First, Docs Best Multivitamin does not use Ascorbyl Palmitate.
      Secondly, It does not contain Ascorbate, which is sourced from fermented sago palm conjugated with Calcium to improve digestion. They feel this source is very pure, non-GMO with terrific nutrient value. The reason this is used is because there is more potency in their Buffered Vitamin C – each capsule contains 500 mgs of vitamin C. Incidentally, Dr. Ron does recommend whole food vitamin C also (as in Pure Synergy from http://www.synergypurevitaminc.com which I also recommend); however, it is good to point out that whole food vitamin C in a 500 mgs capsule would only provide 100 mgs of vitamin C – the balance would be co-factors. I take both, Docs Best Multivitamin and the whole-food vitamin C. I purchase it in powder form so I can take a larger dose without having to swallow many capsules.

Furthermore, if you received your information from Dr. Ron’s website it was incorrect. After talking with him, it was confirmed that it was incorrectly stated on the website. They do NOT use Ascorbyl Palmitate in their Buffered Vitamin C. I was informed that the bottles are labeled correctly.

They have no idea how it got on the website. After informing them of the oversight, they assured me that a request was made to the webmaster to remove the faux pas from their website.

Lastly, corn is not used in any of the products manufactured by them due to the recent GMO problems with 98% of the corn grown in the USA being GMO seeded.

The one thing you can count on is that what is put on the labels of the products, that is ALL that is in the capsule. Also, everything that is NOT put in the products is stated. But you cannot always be successful, but the company does their very best. They are currently in the process of putting each of the product labels on the website. This will eliminate this problem from occurring again (we hope).

I hope that helps. You can always send product questions to me anytime. If I do not know the answers, Dr. Ron will ask the lab for me.

Have a great day! 🙂

5. Hi Carol, thanks so much for all the info on Dr Ron’s multivitamins I’m going to stop buying the product I’m buying now for my family and change over to Doc’s Best Multivitamins as the quality seems to be outstanding.

There is allot of interest lately in essential minerals from people like the ‘Mineral Doctor’ Joel Wallach who recommends you must get all 60 minerals each day.

Do you recommend taking a comprehensive mineral supplement? I’ve read that plant derived minerals sourced from places like Utah for example are by far the best.

• Carol Newman says:

Hi Surin, Doc’s Best Multivitamin, taken as directed on the bottle, along with a healthy diet, will help supply your body with its daily requirements. Be careful of colloidal minerals. There may be small amounts of unwanted metals in some of these promoted products that accumulate in the body, such as aluminum, arsenic, barium, lead, nickel, and titanium in potentially harmful amounts. There is also concern that some products might contain radioactive metals. Additionally, the constituents may vary, depending on the source of the clay. Thank you for your feedback on Doc’s Best Multivitamin and your question. Have a blessed day!

6. Hi Carol, very informative information. I am starting to to train my girlfriend at the gym and wanted to get some multi vitamins for the both of us. It looks like I came to the right place :D. Just one question what would you recommend as good supplement for iron.Its not for me but for her as she use to be anemic.

• Carol Newman says:

Hi Frank, I commend you for starting to train your girlfriend at the gym. To answer your question about iron, here it goes. First of all, you did not say if your girlfriend was currently anemic. You said she used to be anemic. Only a blood test can confirm if her levels are low, and she truly is anemic. Then, the doctor would recommend she take an iron supplement, otherwise, I would not suggest self medicating. Excessive iron intake can inhibit the absorption of zinc which is necessary for wound healing and your immune system. Secondly, you did not say what type of eating habits she has. Adding more foods that provide more iron can help. These include but are not limited to:
      Artichokes
      Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
      Egg yolks – but you can eat the whole egg (preferably from local, organic, free-range chickens)
      Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
      Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
      Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
      Liver
      Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
      Red meat
      Turkey or chicken giblets

Incidentally, consuming foods with vitamin C or a whole food vitamin C, with the foods containing iron, will help your body absorb the iron.

Thanks! For commenting, and tell your girlfriend kudos to her for getting to the gym.

7. Thank you for the fast response. I will keep track of her diet and make sure she gets what she needs. I just ordered the multi vitamins from Dr. Rons website along with some egyptian black seed oil as I hear it has many benefits, Thank you soo much for taking the time to respond.

• Carol Newman says:

You are welcome, Frank. Please keep me updated on your girlfriends progress. Also, I am delighted you are going to give Docs Best Multivitamin a try. 🙂

8. Carol, can you please tell me the amounts (mgs) of the ingredients you list above (vitamins, antioxis, minerals etc) that are in this multivitamine? As many who have commented, I’m truying to eliminate the numerous vitamins I take and get down to maybe on or two.

Thanks
    Dale

• Carol Newman says:

Hi Dale, Thanks for writing in with your question. I think the easiest way for me to answer rather than right a list of all the ingredients is to give you the link to the page, so you can see the label for yourself. Go to http://www.docsbestmultivitamin and click on the Docs Best link near the top of the page. This is one of the best multiples I have found without magnesium stearates to inhibit absorption. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. 🙂

9. What would be the best way to give this to a child? For his omegas, he pops the capsules in his mouth and then spits out the capsules. But he likes the flavor of the vitamins. Don’t know how this tastes. Also, any way I can open the capsule and out it in food?

• Hi Kasey, If you can find a creative, yet healthy, way to get your child to take his/her vitamins, why not try it? If you find what works, share it with me. I can post your ideas on my website.

10. Hi Carol. I have been reading your reviews on Dr. Sinatra ‘ s Omega Q and Docs best multivitamin. Is it ok to take them together as they both contain some of the same vitamins? I was also curious as to what your daily regimen of vitamins is.

• Hi Denise, I actually take them together. Yes, they both have several of the same B vitamins, but that is fine to take together. Even though my multiple has vitamin D, I still take an additional vitamin D supplement along with extra vitamin C. I only take whole-food vitamin C, such as Pure Synergy, which you can get from Dr. Rons. Additionally, I take Docs B-Optimal too even though the multiple has all the B vitamins. I do rotate the vitamins I take. There are many other vitamins I take, which would make my answer quite lengthy, because I like to explain everything. Feel free to give me a call, and we can talk. My telephone number is on the contact us page. Leave me a message, and I will get back with you. My diet is extremely healthy, but I find I feel much better when I take my vitamins. We only get one body, so why not keep it in the best of health. Have a blessed day. 🙂