Do you eat breakfast? Many people skip breakfast thinking it will help them lose weight. Did you know the opposite is true? Of course, it all depends upon what your breakfast menu consists of. Having a bagel with cream cheese and washing it down with a glass of orange juice, believe it or not, is not your best or healthiest choice. A better choice would be my Healthy Eating Recipes – Coconut Flour Pancakes.
This healthy recipe is perfect to make on the weekend when we typically have more time to prepare a traditional-style breakfast. Eating a nutritious breakfast will actually give you sustained energy, keep you satisfied longer, cause you to eat less later where as skipping breakfast often times encourages increased calorie consumption later in the day. In addition, when you eat healthy, properly balanced meals your body will actually burn calories more efficiently. A great example of this is BistroMD meals. The food items are combined in such a way to help you lose extra pounds naturally.
- 4 eggs (preferably local, free-range)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla bean powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- butter for cooking and eating
First, preheat griddle to 350º F. In a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy. This should take approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Then gradually stir in milk and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Thoroughly mix together. Now gradually stir in the coconut milk and egg mixture with the dry ingredients until it is completely mixed.
Grease the griddle with butter. Pour about 1/2 cup of batter, for each pancake, on the griddle. Flip when pancakes bubble and then pop.
Just like traditional pancakes you can serve them with butter, pure maple syrup, honey, fresh fruit or a fruit compote. Additionally, a great accompaniment to these coconut flour pancakes is bacon. If you live near a local farmer or meat packer, who sells nitrate free bacon, that is better yet. You can also opt for turkey bacon.
As a side note, in comparison to white-flour pancakes, coconut-flour pancakes have a somewhat sweeter flavor. They are also much lower in carbohydrates.
Additional Benefits Provided From Coconut Flour
• Promotes excretion of toxins from the body, including carcinogenic toxins
• Rich in protein
• Low fat, of which mostly lauric acid, which supports immune system, thyroid and skin health
• Anti-fungal (perfect for candida suffers)
• High in fiber
• Low in carbohydrates
• Stimulates formation of muscle tissue and the breakdown of fat, which helps reduce cellulite
• Low glycemic index, which helps maintain proper blood sugar levels
• Boosts metabolism
• Increases energy production
• Increases calcium and magnesium absorption in the body
• improves bone and dental health
Aren’t those great reasons to start incorporating coconut flour into your healthy eating plan?