According to the National Sleep Foundation, healthy adults should aim for 7 to 8 hours per night. (www.sleepfoundation.org) Using green cleaning tips in the bedroom can help achieve this goal!
The bedroom is the perfect resting spot for tiny particles that make our lives miserable. From the cobwebs at the corners of the ceilings to the dust mites living in the wall-to-wall carpet on the floors, our bedrooms are full of allergens.
As if that weren’t bad enough, depending on how we attempt to clean these minuscule bits of misery from our home, we could be making the problem worse! That’s because non-green cleaning products release chemicals that cause other reactions.
Removing the Chemicals from Our Bedrooms
Cleaning products aren’t the only culprits when it comes to chemicals in our bedrooms. The beds we sleep in, if not eco friendly, are release toxic chemicals that absorbed into the body.
Thankfully there are so many alternatives to keeping your bedroom green, clean, and chemical-free. Here are some of my favourite green cleaning tips for the bedroom.
- Wood Furniture – Forget the expensive polishes and oils. I mix up equal parts of lemon juice and olive oil, apply a dab to an organic cotton cloth, and rub into the furniture. The wood not only stays clean longer, but it smells nicer than whatever is in those aerosol cans.
- Carpet Cleaner – If you can’t replace your carpets with an ecofriendly alternative, at least use an eco friendly cleaner. Mix up equal parts of cornstarch, baking soda, and unscented soap flakes. Sprinkle onto your carpet. Leave for 20 to 30 minutes and vacuum using a machine with HEPA filtration.
- Laundry and Bedding – Did you know that the average family washes a few hundred loads of laundry each year? There are several recipes online but making your own detergent is easy, and for less than $10 you can make enough soap to wash a year’s worth of laundry.
Sleep Easier in a Cocoon of Green
There is an Irish proverb that claims a good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures for anything. It makes me wonder if whoever said it first ever slept cocooned in organic cotton bedding. If you never have, read on to see why you should.
When something is organic, it means it was grown without any kind of harmful pesticides or dangerous chemicals. Because it has a low carbon footprint, it helps maintain fertile soil that is healthy not only for plants and animals, but also for humans.
There are 22 countries that grow organic cotton, including Peru where the cotton for Organic Jersey Sheet Sets is grown. These sheets are also free of bleach, detergent, harmful dyes, spinning resins, and other harmful products.
Each set is crafted from 100% organically grown and processed cotton as well as soft jersey knit. Here are some other benefits of sleeping on eco friendly sheets.
- A supremely soft surface on which to sleep during any season
- Sized to fit pillow top mattresses to prevent corners from slipping
- Arrives in a matching drawstring bag that you can use as a tote
The set includes one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and pillowcases. They are available in twin, full, queen, and king sizes. And the natural ivory, mandarin orange, and tea khaki colour choices will complement any bedroom décor.
Better Sleep from the Very First Night
As soon as you pull the bedding from the bag it is ready to go on your mattress so that you can enjoy peaceful, chemical-free sleep whether taking a restful nap or getting a full night’s sleep. That’s because the bedding is designed for optimal human sleep.
If you are ready to sleep healthier in the comfort of bedding that is free from chemicals, check out the Organic Jersey Sheet Set at Green Nest! They are as soft as they are safe, giving you a comfortable place to relax.